Crown Hill National Cemetery

The Crown Hill National Cemetery comprises 1.4 acres of our 555-acre cemetery. Situated on the gently sloping hill behind our Gothic Chapel, the national cemetery property was purchased by the U.S. Government in 1866 for the purpose of reburying 707 Union soldiers from City Cemetery. The cemetery is the resting place of 2,135 soldiers, representing every war with U.S. involvement. The last soldier buried in the cemetery was Maj. Robert W. Hayes, an Air Force pilot killed in Vietnam in 1969.

Today, a commemorative monument stands within the Crown Hill National Cemetery. Each Memorial Day, Crown Hill Cemetery honors the men and women who are interred in the national cemetery with a traditional Memorial Day ceremony.