Phone: (317) 925-3800(317) 925-3800
The Crown Hill National Cemetery is located within the 555 acres of Crown Hill Cemetery. The national cemetery, containing 1.4 acres, is situated on the gently sloping hill behind the Gothic Chapel. The national cemetery property was purchased for $5,000 by the U.S. Government in 1866 for the purpose of reburying 707 Union soldiers from City Cemetery. A bronze plaque on the grounds identifies the national cemetery.
Graves were originally marked by headboards, painted and lettered, which were later replaced with upright marble headstones. There are 2,135 soldiers representing every war in which the United States has participated, with the last one being made in 1969 for Maj. Robert W. Hayes, an Air Force pilot killed in Vietnam. Today, a commemorative monument stands within the Crown Hill National Cemetery. Across the road from the national cemetery is another veterans' area dedicated on Memorial Day 1988. A large black granite monument has been erected here to the memory of all five military services: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. Each Memorial Day, Crown Hill Cemetery honors the men and women who are interred in the national cemetery with a traditional Memorial Day Cemetery.